- The oriental cockroach is one of the most common species found in the UK.
- They are 25-30mm long.
- They are dark brown to black in colour.
- The egg case is called an oothecae and can contain 16 eggs.
- The female will produce 5-10 oothecae in her lifetime.
- Cockroaches can be found in areas of high temperature.
- They can enter a home through food packaging or can come in under a door, air ducts or vents.
- The oriental cockroach is commonly found in large colonies.
If a cockroach infestation occurs, it will need to be treated very swiftly as they have been found to carry a number of diseases such as salmonella, gastro-enteritis, tuberculosis and tapeworm. Infestations need professional treatment to be removed and prevent further rapid spread.